What to expect after your treatment
Day 1: Severity of erythema (redness) will depend on how aggressive the session was performed.
Day 2: A red or pink hue persists, similar to moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
Day 3: Skin can be pink or simply remain normal in colour. Swelling subsides. Active skincare regimen can be resumed again after day 3.
Redness will settle and be replaced by dry, tight peeling skin. This will shed over the next 3-7 days to reveal fresh skin with more neutral skin colouring and improved texture.
Some people do not shed at all which is also normal. The degree of tightness and peeling depends on the skin condition on the day of treatment and is not an indicator of the intensity of treatment nor the expected results.
There may be bruising, which is usually minimal and pinhead-sized. It may last for 1-5 days. If it occurs, avoid medications such as aspirin, Nurofen, Vitamin E or fish oils which are blood-thinning agents and may exacerbate bruising.
Immediate aftercare – what to do at home
- The treated area must be treated with care. BE GENTLE! Do not scratch or pick at your skin and be diligent with sun protection.
- You MUST NOT pick, scratch or use any exfoliant (gentle exfoliation may be allowed after 3-5 days) as this may damage the new skin and introduce bacteria leading to skin infections.
- Moisturise and hydrate adequately day and night. Your dermal therapist will advise you of the best skincare regimen for your skin to complement this treatment and address your concerns.
- Use gentle, medical-grade products. Click here for post-treatment product recommendations.
- Until sensitivity has completely subsided, avoid all of the following: Applying make-up over the treated areas, use of scented lotions or soaps, deodorants, active ingredients (Vitamin A, AHAs etc), acne creams or gels, loofa sponges, aggressive scrubbing.
- Also, avoid hot or cold water – wash with tepid water, shaving, swimming pools and spas with multiple chemicals/chlorine and activities that cause excessive perspiration
- Use a soothing cleanser or face wash with tepid water to cleanse the face for the following 48 hours after your needling treatment and dry gently. Always make sure your hands are clean when touching the area that has been needled.
- Following your needling session, the skin may feel drier than normal. Hyaluronic Acid is an ideal ingredient to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance. Your practitioner may recommend a suitable home care product for you post needling.
- It is recommended that makeup is not applied for 12 hours after the session, although your practitioner may be able to supply you with specialised mineral makeup that they feel would be suitable for use during this period. Do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if it is not clean.
- DO NOT apply spray tanning or fake tanning creams for 2-3 weeks after the treatment.
- A cold compress or an ice pack can be used to provide comfort if the treated area is especially warm. This is typically only needed within the first 12 hours after the treatment.
- A post-treatment cream such as Youth Lab Calm Balm applied to the treatment area may provide a soothing effect. Post-treatment discomfort is typically minimal but if the area is very uncomfortable, oral pain reliever; i.e. Paracetamol Ibuprofen, may be used.
- Strictly avoid any sun exposure or any excessive heat to the treated area for a minimum of 14 days after skin needling. The treated area is more prone to sunburn and pigmentation change (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Keep the area covered and use a sunblock with a protection factor of 50+.
Subsequent treatments are based upon your practitioner’s recommendation and are typically 2-4 weeks apart. An initial course of 3 treatments is recommended.
Results will be evident following a course of treatment with ongoing collagen stimulation for up to 8 months with an improvement in skin tone, texture and quality.
Treatments for scarring or more impaired skin will require more sessions (6 treatments plus) with regular maintenance recommended.
Please contact us on (08) 9324 1604 (West Perth) or (08) 9260 6800 (Claremont) if you have any questions about your treatment or aftercare instructions.