Understanding PRP for hair loss with Nurse Lizzie
Hair loss can be a distressing experience affecting not only a client’s physical appearance but also their confidence and self-esteem. Luckily, there’s a beneficial treatment in the hair restoration world known as Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy. This technique utilises the power of PRP to combat hair loss and hair thinning effectively.
To understand PRP better, it is essential to understand a little more about what PRP involves. PRP is using a concentrated form of blood plasma that contains a high concentration of platelets compared to standard blood products. These platelets play a role in the body’s natural healing process by releasing growth factors that encourage cellular repair and regeneration in the hair growth process. When applied to combating hair loss or thinning, PRP promotes healthy follicles and stimulates new hair growth — a real game changer!
Mechanism of PRP
A small quantity of blood is collected from the patient, after which it is processed in a machine called a centrifuge. This separates the platelets from other components present in the blood. Packed with growth factors, concentrated PRP plays a crucial role in stimulating impaired hair follicles upon treatment into the scalp. This activation results in improved blood circulation and rejuvenates the hair regrowth cycle. Stimulation on the hair follicles with PRP helps the natural regeneration process, the treatment of PRP encourages their development and speed significantly. PRP helps to strengthen the supply of essential nutrients and oxygen to these follicles, this in turn will help to give an environment for these follicles to strengthen patients’ hair formation.
Advantages of PRP
PRP is a non-surgical and less invasive solution for individuals who are looking for a solution to combat hair loss. Unlike other surgical procedures that help restore hair, PRP offers a minimally invasive approach without the associated risks that come with surgery which can make it more of an appealing choice. PRP is considered an autologous treatment as the blood products are taken from the individual that is having the treatment, this reduces the chances of allergic reactions or rejection to the procedure.
Utilising the body’s own healing mechanisms without introducing foreign substances, this method promotes natural regrowth. The treatment itself has minimal downtime, so clients can resume daily activities which can be more convenient for those who cannot afford surgical recovery due to their busy life schedule.
The Process of PRP
- Consultation. The process begins with an in-depth consultation. Your Youth Lab practitioner will take a thorough medical history and discuss treatment concerns and goals. Then, we’ll assess the extent of your hair loss, quality of remaining hair and areas of improvement. This will allow us to determine if PRP would be a suitable treatment option. You have the opportunity to discuss any questions or concerns during this time. We will also formulate a treatment plan to allow for an understanding of required treatments to gain best results.
- Numbing. Topical numbing will be applied to the treatment areas to minimise discomfort during the procedure. We also combine products into the plasma itself to make it more comfortable during the procedure.
- Preparation of PRP. During this process blood will be taken — the amount is similar in a blood test. We will then place this into a machine called a centrifuge. This allows the components of blood to separate to allow us to extract plasma which is a combination of platelets and growth factors for your PRP procedure.
- Treatment. The treatment itself is relatively quick, by this time you are very numb for the procedure. We will start by using a thin needle to inject the plasma into the targeted areas of concern. We will use the remaining amount in other areas of benefit. You have two different treatment options for PRP — injecting or skin needling. Both treatments give you great results, although we do find with injecting we can be more specific and targeted to the concerned areas.
- Post treatment Care. After your treatment your treating practitioner will provide you with some aftercare for you to undertake at home. We suggest to clients to avoid using certain hair products as well as avoiding intense physical activity for a short period to minimise infection risk.
- Results. Follow-up sessions will be required to ensure optimal results, during these sessions we will reassess your hair quality and results. Ideally we would recommend at least three sessions of PRP with intervals of four to six weeks with maintenance sessions yearly to ensure optimal results. Many people have reported significant improvement within just a few months!
PRP is a powerful tool in the world of hair restoration offering a safe, non-surgical and effective solution for individuals experiencing hair loss and thinning. Results can differ among individuals and the results can vary. PRP is an amazing solution for individuals seeking to boost their confidence and to help revive their hair back to life, slowly getting that mane back. If you are considering addressing your hair concerns, come for a consultation where we can give an insight into PRP and if it is the right choice for you and your hair.