What to expect after your treatment
The Hydrafacial treatment can treat a number of common skin concerns as well as maintain the health and balance of the skin when used on a regular basis. The most common indications are:
- Ageing and sun damage
- Acne and Acne scarring
- Uneven skin tone and texture
- Redness and rosacea
- Fine lines and wrinkles
It is important to avoid sun exposure, tanning, exfoliation and non-prescribed skincare products before the treatment, as this may affect the end result and result in unwanted side effects. By adhering to the pre-treatment skin preparation, your results will be optimised with a lower risk of any side effects and downtime.
The treated area must be treated with care. BE GENTLE! Do not scratch or pick at your skin.
After treatment, your face will feel slightly red but makeup can be applied (with clean hands or a clean brush). The most important step in your routine will be an SPF 50+ at all times.
After 3-5 days there may be some mild skin shedding and peeling. Due to the mild AHA/BHA peels within the Hydrafacial treatment, it may produce a microscopic shedding of the outer dead skin layer which is not visible to the naked eye. The presence or absence of visible peeling does not impact the final results.
If underlying congestion in the skin is present, you may experience some breakouts or pimples after undergoing any exfoliating treatment such as a Chemical peel or Hydrafacial treatment. If this occurs they are generally short-lived and resolve fairly quickly. However if more serious acne or congestion is present please anticipate worsening symptoms of your acne/congestion if the Hydrafacial is your first in-clinic treatment. Purging of acne and congestion is a normal response to treatment and indicative that the skin is responding. Deeper congestion that may not have been visible to you before may become apparent.
A commitment to appropriate home care, diet and your treatment course will ensure optimal and long term results.
Immediate aftercare – what to do at home
- Moisturise and hydrate adequately day and night. Your Dermal Therapist will advise you of the best skincare regimen for your skin to complement this treatment and address your particular concerns. Please do not deviate from this regime.
- Use gentle cleansers and products
- Use SPF 50+ daily and reapply when required
- Do not rub, pick or scratch the skin.
- Avoid the application of fake tan or spray tan for 1 week
- Do not use any AHA or BHA, harsh exfoliants or acidic based products for 2-3 days (eg Glycolic, Lactic, Salicylic etc)
- Do not use any Vitamin A/Retinol based products for 2-3 days (eg Retin A, Retinoic acid, Stieva A, Zorac etc)
- It is important to avoid any sun exposure for the week following treatment and any excessive heat such as hot showers, steam rooms, and saunas for 24 hours.
- Avoid exercise for 24 hours and swimming for the next week
Subsequent treatments are based upon your therapist’s recommendation and are typically 2-4 weeks apart.
An initial treatment course of 3 treatments is recommended (6 for acne prone skin). Please note symptoms of acne and congestion may be triggered after your first treatment.
Monthly to 3 monthly maintenance treatments are advised for long term results.
Please contact us on (08) 9324 1604 (West Perth) or (08) 9260 6800 (Claremont) if you have any questions about your treatment or aftercare instructions.